Janet Morrison Clarke ’75

1.  What was a significant location on campus for you?  Why?

There are 2 locations: The Architecture School & Baker Hockey Rink. One because it was a 24/7 creative area where I met many friends in studio [I aspired to be an architect & chose Princeton for their excellent school] and the rink because it was like going into a cool quiet “womb” where I could skate and relax [I played on the team].

2. What was a defining (or pivotal) moment of your life?

Probably both realizing I wanted get beyond the area where I lived [central Massachusetts] in the late 1960’s and meeting and marrying Fred Clarke 10 years later. 

3. How did your personal identity shape your Princeton experience?

Princeton was an amazing place that allowed me to learn by being exposed to world renowned academics and  confident people who were also kind. It was weird to be there when there were not many women though.

4. If you could relive your time at Princeton, what would you do differently?

I would have spent more time with my professors. I was so afraid to do that and often overwhelmed by the sheer workload. Some I did get to tell later [like the late Michael Graves], but many I did not and they have since passed away.

5. If you could relive your time at Princeton, what would you keep the same?

The people. Every one of them. It was a great diverse community and each day brought a new experience. I never wanted to sleep….

6. What part of your life are you most proud of?

I am proud of my life–all of it. I have lived well and given back & shared my knowledge. I am glad I can look myself in the mirror without regrets. Princeton was a large part of the reason and shaped me in my formative years [18 to 21].